Monday, January 4, 2010

New bag!

& I'm soo excited about it! Don't get my wrong I love the last one I made out of Anna Marie Horner fabric "volumes" but after a year and a half of constant use and a fatal fall in the wet parking lot of Trader Joes in December it needs a break for a bit.

I did pick up this AMH print for lining for my bag... however it found its way into the lining of some other projects for gifts. I really like how it turned out though!

I had to make a special pocket for the nano :)


sewing with gmail


My favorite part is turning it right side out! I bought the outside fabric at Ikea.
Fun Fact: Ikea Portland sells more by the yard fabric than any other Ikea! This is obviously why the PNW is superior to all other US regions. The fabric there is nice for bags too because it is sturdy. I think this print is outdoor rated as well, maybe it can survive a wet parking lot fall?


Finished with a long adjustable strap and two sturdy handles. It took me forever to find the adjustable strap element. While at Fabric Depot (which you would think have everything considering its size) we were directed to Rose City Textiles in the NW industrial district to find some fabric for a surf board bag my mom was making for my dad and the metal strap adjuster. RCT is a mecca of all things sturdy & awesome. Zippers of all colors, lengths and styles as well as oodles of metal fixings to make backpacks, bags etc. They have a giant room full of outdoor fabric like sweat wicking knits, high quality fleece, wool & wool blends, canvas, rip stop, quilted things. I will most definitely be returning soon.


The metal slider for 50 cents


The button that my mom found a while back at fabric depot :)


More to come soon...

4 comments:

Jess said...

oooooh I love it! It looks awesome, and is clearly so well sewn. I love Ikea fabrics so much! I have several thicker ones I have hoarded, waiting for the right project.

I sew with gmail too :)

I will have to check that store out in Portland! And that's an awesome fact about the Portland Ikea. I love it.

Elisa said...

So great! Good work! I need to learn some of your great sewing skills! Have a fantastic day!

nudibranchs and toast said...

thank you! I've been packing this thing to work and everywhere in coos bay (including the beach :) and I'm totally loving the long strap that can adjust short!

H-pop said...

beautiful bag!!