Monday, April 29, 2013

Me-Made-May '13!

Alright folks, it's time to get serious, serious about sewing!  I follow a few, incredibly inspirational sewing blogs.  Everytime I read a post I think about hopping behind my machine and tackling those UFOs and stacks of uncut, undetermined fabric so that I can really enjoy getting dressed in the morning and toot my "I made this!" horn. 

I've got a small stack of me made, hand made (usually by my mom), and a small number of refashioned items.  Some of these items fit better than others or are worn much more often (Here's looking at you slouchy black tee!).  In this process it'd be rad to document all of my self made wardrobe so I can figure out what's me, what's working and not, and what I should focus on making in the future.  Without doing the sewn wardrobe evaluation I know there are gaps! And some amazing yardage waiting to be thrown into the mix.  

So! With all of that said...
I, Jenna of nudibranchs and toast, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '13. I endeavor to wear one sewn garment on average 5 days a week for the duration of May 2013 so I may wear each finished sewn item I have at least once. In addition I aspire to finish 3 more garments by the end of the month and work down my UFOs.

This will come as a challenge as I'm busy busy this month with many school programs in the mud or on the trails, going out of town for a week or so for work, and have not had a good track record on finishing things lately.  If it gets me back on the path to a custom fitted wardrobe I'll be a happy nudibranch :)

In addition to highlighting my sewn items why not throw some other useful crafts into the mix?  I've been knitting regularly for about two and a half years now and have a good assortment of things on Ravely.  I'm even tackling my very first sweater!  If it's cold enough I'll try to utilize as many of these things that I can.  

I also have been dabbling in making jewelry for a long, long time.  I like to focus on items with beads, glass mostly and the gems that I can afford/justify, and now am loving items with more metal in them.  My mom and I were at Ben Franklin in Eugene and got some amazing advice on a few things here and there.  I'm borrowing my mom's steel block and hammer and am ready to tackle some fun and hopefully quick projects.  Already today I completed a long sought after noodle wrap bracelet!  Happiness.




No comments: